After reviewing six proposals from two architects, the FHS Building Committee voted unanimously on January 29, 2020, to recommend constructing a new facility as designed by architectural firm TSKP. On February 4, 2020, Town Council voted unanimously to accept that recommendation and charged the FHS Building Committee with developing a full schematic design with a net municipal cost to the Town of $105 – $110 million.
The FHS Building Committee subsequently worked to refine the design and bring it into the budget parameters stipulated by Town Council. On January 13, 2021, Town Council accepted the FHS Building Committee’s revised plan.
The final design is a beautiful facility that fully addresses the needs of our community while also planning for the future. Some highlights include:
- Multi-story, compact design with smaller footprint
- Larger classrooms with a flexible design
- Designed with distinct “Learning Communities” that concentrate learning spaces in a cohesive and collaborative manner
- Utilizes energy-efficient materials as well as HVAC and electrical systems, and maximizes the use of natural light
- Increased safety and security
- Fully accessible throughout
- Sited on existing campus, to the east of the current facility
- Disruption addressed by constructing the new facility completely separate from existing one – students, faculty, and staff will not be in a construction zone
You can review the full design and its features by visiting the FHS Building Committee’s Schematic Design page. There you’ll find a short overview video as well as the Schematic Design Report and Appendices.